Help us to keep antibiotics working and win some great prizes
It’s that time of year when the weather is getting colder, and we may be more susceptible to colds and other bugs that are circulating. Warwickshire County Council and Coventry City Council, along with NHS organisations across Coventry and Warwickshire will be launching a “Keep Antibiotics Working” campaign in November, and are keen to get as many schools as they can involved with the campaign.
Antibiotics are essential to treat bacterial infections, but using antibiotics when they are not needed encourages harmful bacteria that live inside us to become resistant. That means that antibiotics may not work when we really need them.
To help raise awareness of this, schools across Warwickshire are being invited to take part in our poster competition.
The winning poster will be used on our website, social media and in our media coverage of the campaign and we’ll arrange a photo call with the winner and their poster.
The competition is open to all Warwickshire school age children between the ages of 5 and 16 years old and asks them to create a poster to raise awareness about one of the following messages that help to prevent the spread of illnesses:
- Prevent infections and stop them spreading by washing your hands with soap and water regularly, particularly before eating and after going to the toilet.
- Remember that cold, flu and stomach viruses can’t be treated with antibiotics and usually get better with rest and fluids. Find out more here
- Take your health professional's advice about antibiotics.
- When prescribed antibiotics, always take the full course and never share with others.
- Taking antibiotics when you don’t need them puts you and your family at risk - let's save antibiotics for when they are really needed. Find out more here
There will be two winners; one from the 5-11 age group and a second from 12-16 age group.
Please submit entries (A4 size) to Dr Fatema Dhaif and Dr Sumaya Gurhan by 29 November 2019.
Please also make sure your name, address, school and contact details are included.
You can email in scanned entries to Fatemadhaif@warwickshire.gov.uk or Sumayagurhan@warwickshire.gov.uk
Or post them to: FAO Fatema Dhaif/Sumaya Gurhan, Public Health Unit, People Group, Warwickshire County Council, Saltisford Office Park, Ansell Way, Warwick, CV34 4UL