New early years resources for Healthy Eating Week
Nurseries and schools across the UK are invited to take part in the British Nutrition Foundation's Health Eating Week from 14 to 18 June, with the launch of a free practitioner pack full of posters, advice, daily activities and videos.
This year will Health Eating Week will focus on five daily themes:
- Know the facts: Day one will start with the basics of healthy eating, busting the myths around nutrition and giving practical advice on what (or what not!) to eat. Teachers and pupils can all take part in a healthy eating quiz, and challenges range from creating a menu based on the Eatwell guide, to keeping hydration diaries, to making posters on the importance of fibre.
- Make a healthier choice: Tips and tools will be shared around how students can think about healthier choices. From understanding food labels and getting to grips with portion sizes, there will be a range of educational activities for all ages.
- Plan for success: Planning ahead can help all of us make healthier choices; on this day, students will be tasked with creating meal planners for themselves and their friends, as well as looking at recipe planners to help them make healthier choices, while not blowing the budget!
- Be the chef: This day will combine healthy eating know-how with practical cooking tips to help everyone make tasty, healthier meals. Healthier cooking tips will be given, with recipes and ideas for inspiration.
- Keep moving: It’s not just about what you eat and drink. Being active has many benefits for health and is an important part of a healthier lifestyle. Children, teenagers and teachers can look forward to lots of ‘keep moving’ activities on the final day of Healthy Eating Week.
To register for British Nutrition Foundation’s Healthy Eating Week 2021, visit: https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/hew.html